List Of Attention-Grabbing IB History Extended Essay Topics
Students undertaking IB (International Baccalaureate) Diploma Program, among other things, should write their extended essays. Many people don't understand well what kinds of papers are these. There are two main distinguishing features of these types of academic writing. Firstly, extended essays are longer than ordinary essays. They are up to 4000 words in length. Secondly, these types of papers are entirely research based. You should investigate something deeply in this writing assignment. Therefore, the extended essay topics are usually formulated as questions, not prompts and statements.
To come up with a perfect IB history extended essay topic, you should choose a specific subject area in the field. When choosing, remember to distinguish current affairs and history. Events that happen somewhere now, are not historic. Not to be mistaken, explore something that happened more than 10 years ago. Be sure to pick an interesting subject. It should also be deep enough so that you could cover the needed number of words in your project. Moreover, you will only benefit if your topic is catchy and thought-provoking. Here is a list of attention-grabbing IB extended essay topics in history to your advantage.
- Why did the Soviet Union collapse?
- Witch trials in Salem: how did historians interpret these events in the course of years?
- The Treaty of Versailles in 1919: what were the most historically significant results of this event?
- What were the consequences of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact for Finland, Poland, the Baltic states, and Bessarabia?
- Attack on Pearl-Harbor: how did this military strike by the Japanese Navy affect the World War II?
- Opium growing and trade: how did this market develop in the several last decades?
- Are there any traces of politics in the works by William Shakespeare?
- Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki: can these military actions of the United States be somehow justified?
- How did the Roman conquest of Britain affect the island nation?
- What were the economic and political consequences of the Chernobyl disaster in Ukraine?
- What were the political reasons for the fall of the Roman Empire?
You can choose any historical topic you like to explore in your IB extended essay. Moreover, it is your chance to research any issue from the past that is not included in your school curriculum. Think of any historic movie or book you liked and borrow interesting ideas from there, consider researching the events that seem to be mysterious and obscure to you, ask your teacher and friends for advice, and your topic will definitely be attention-grabbing and original.